[Photo Credit: http://vegancinephile.com/]
The famous TV show just ended it’s sixth season but you better believe the retro feel is still in! Make a nod to Don Draper’s world and put on your best Sixties gear! Here’s what you’ll need to make this party a reality.
Use Pingg, a website that provides invitation templates and designs for your “Mad Men” inspired e-invites!
- To start it off, frame up vintage ads on the wall. The more risqué, the better!
- If you happen to have a vintage typewriter lying around, use it as prop or even better, get guests to type their best copy for a ﬁctional ad. The best copy will win a prize at the end of the night!
- Vintage Coca-Cola bottles around the party area will also serve as a groovy throwback to the past!
- Who didn’t smoke in the Sixties? To create an authentic vibe, minus the health hazard, try getting candy cigarettes instead.
- Don’t forget the music! While you absolutely must Zou Bisou Bisou, don’t be afraid to put Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, The Platters and even Sergio Mendes on. Check out our playlist we put together for you on Songza.
- Remember to hide modern gadgets! iPads and smartphones will look out of place here.
- Get your guests to drop their gadgets in a small basket, and return it to them at the end of the evening.
- With a “Mad Men” inspired theme party, it’s all about the fashion. Think psychedelic prints, A-line cuts and big hair. Yes, it’s time to tease your hair into that beehive, ladies!
- For the men, you won’t go wrong with a dinner jacket and a bowtie. Perhaps even a plaid blazer? The smarter the suit, the closer you are to Don Draper’s look.
- Accessorise! Hats such as a fedora for men, and a hostess apron for that sixties homemaker look will give the party that extra detail.
- Hors d’oeuvres were the in thing during the Sixties. Assemble deviled eggs, prawn cocktails and tuna stuffed in cherry tomatoes. Don’t forget the cheese spread, crackers and dip! Get the recipes here.
- For sweet treats, try mini pineapple upside down cakes. Have time to prep? Try the ambrosia layer cake.
- What’s a Sixties “Mad Men” party without lots of drinks? Set up a drinks table by putting a print table cloth (Hawaiian prints would be perfect!). Place bottles of alcohol on the table, and get guests to mix their own drinks! Cocktails such as the Dirty Martini, Manhattan and Old Fashioned are a must! Click here for the recipes. For guests who won’t be gracing the alcohol table, get a fruit punch bowl ready for them to quench their thirst.
- Want to gather guests in one area for a communal activity? Bring out the fondue pot! The classic Gruyere and Emmentelar cheese hits the spot every time.
- To save on prep time, get guests to “bring and share” their favorite dishes from the era!
- Don’t have retro games such as Twister lying around? Charades, bingo and card games will take the cake too!
- Want to test your guests’ creativity? Get them to sit in a small group to make up a mini advertising ﬁrm. Provide colour pencils, sheets of paper and other writing materials for them to create their own ad for a ﬁctional product of your choice. Try something hilariously regular like paper towels. The best ad wins a prize (more candy cigarettes!), and bragging rights, of course.
“Like” Fiestah on Facebook.
Follow Fiestah (@Fiestah) on Twitter.
Check us out on Pinterest!
Sign up at www.fiestah.com.